The National Health Insurance Fund has begun to provide medical benefit for retirees since July 1 2009.These benefits apply to a retiree, who was a member of the Fund and his/her legal partner (wife or husband) to get medical care for the rest of their lives. Note that, this benefit does not include other dependents.
Who Is A Retired Member ?
- Must have 55 years age for voluntary retirement or statutory retirement age of 60 years.
- Must have contributed to the Scheme for minimum of 120 months.
- Member who retires voluntarily or by law before he attained 120 months of subscription shall top up the remaining months in order to gain access to the retirees benefits package.
- Must be active member at the time of retirement.
- A retired member shall return all the original NHIF Identity cards which, includes his/hers, spouse and other dependents;
- Retiree shall return all of the original Identity cards at any of the NHIF offices nearest to him/her;
- NHIF officer who has received the returned Identity cards shall provide special form of confirmation to a retiree and he/she should keep the form;
- Retiree shall submit two recent passport size photographs of him and his/her spouse for ID card process;
- Retiree shall submit a letter of retirement to confirm the cessation of his service; and
- Retired member who has lost Identity card will be required to fill the form of the oath of Court (affidavit), provide police loss report and payTShs 20,000 as fee for the loss of each identity.
Cessation Of Membership
Retiree membership will end when:-
- He/She passes away